The Greenhouse hosted a successful Health & Wellness Open Day for all homeless members of the public on Wednesday 14th February 2018.
The event was well attended, mixed with members of the general public, registered patients, Julie Mcnair from City & Hackney council and a number of excellent services for all visitors to access and learn about. The services that attended were:
- Just Add Spice, who will be promoting Time Credits. This scheme is available for all residents of Hackney, and individuals can earn Time Credits through volunteering at local organisations, charities and services. These credits can then be spent on local opportunities and activities in the community, such as leisure centres. 1 hour of helping in your community equals 1 hour of Time Credits for you to spend.
- Healthwatch Hackney, whose mission is to improve health and social care provision and outcomes for people in Hackney. Healthwatch Hackney aim to do this by working to ensure that treatment and care is provided with respect and dignity, valuing diversity, encouraging participation and working together.
- Hackney’s Diabetes Centre, who will be carrying out free blood glucose tests and offering advice about diabetes to visitors. The diabetes centre, which is based at Homerton Hospital, includes a talented team of diabetes specialist nurses, diabetes specialist dietitians and diabetes consultants.
- Thamesreach, whose mission is to assist homeless and vulnerable men and women to find decent homes, build supportive relationships and lead fulfilling lives. Thames Reach works directly with homeless people on the streets and in hostels and work hard to prevent vulnerable people from becoming homeless.
- A member of the City & Hackney Council.
- Hackney Adult Services. who are committed to helping Hackney residents who need adult social care and support, to enable them to live healthy, independent lives at home for as long as possible. We provide services for older people, adults with physical and sensory disabilities, learning difficulties or mental health problems and those who are no longer able to manage without help.
The event helped to promote the role and benefits of The Greenhouse GP services, planned and ongoing improvements, as well as raising awareness about a number of local healthcare service providers accessible through the surgery for patients and local homeless people in Hackney.
AT Medics were delighted to host this event, and extend special thanks to the team and services who made this all possible.